There’s nothing that exudes dominance quite like dunking on your opponent. Plus, dunks are always featured in highlight packages and on posters. So, if you’re looking to make a game truly memorable, dunking on your opponents is a surefire way to make that happen.
With the release of 2K23, the dunking mechanics have received a serious upgrade giving players the option to choose which type of dunk they want to execute.
These upgrades have increased the level of complexity when it comes to dunking as well. This is why in this guide we’re going to make sure to take you through all of the dunk basics in addition to some of the more advanced techniques in the game.
Dunking: The Basics
- Pressing the Shoot Button
Older 2K players will know that the default method of executing a dunk involves pressing the shoot button as you’re driving towards the hoop.
All players have to do is drive towards the hoop while holding the boost button which is R2 or RT (depending on whether you’re playing with a PS5 or Xbox controller) and then press the shoot button (square or X) as you get close to the hoop.
Now, there are a few advanced dunk techniques you could try pulling off using the shoot button which we’ll get into a little later on.
- Moving the Right Stick
2K introducing the mechanic of using the right stick to shoot has really opened up a bunch of different options when it comes to executing dunks. The general method remains the same though, as players have to first drive towards the hoop while holding the turbo button. As you reach the hoop, you can:
- Shift the right stick upwards to do a two-handed dunk.
- Shift it toward the right to do a right-handed dunk.
- Shift it toward the left to do a left-handed dunk.
- Shift it downwards to do a rim hanging dunk.
The rim hang is by far our favorite basic dunk as it allows players to control their rim hang afterward by moving their body with the left stick to activate some interesting animations.
Advanced: Contact and Style Dunks
- Style Dunks Using the Shoot Button
Using the shoot button to execute dunks allows players to carry out three advanced dunks. As players drive towards the hoop while inside the paint, they can:
- Double tap the shoot button (X or Square) and then hold it while also holding the boost button to perform a spin dunk where the player spins away from his defender and completes the dunk.
- Hold the turbo button till they get close to the basket, let go of the turbo button, tap the shoot button twice, and then finally hold the shoot and boost buttons simultaneously to execute a euro dunk. This’ll cause your player to take a few steps away from his defender and bury the ball in the basket.
- Hold the turbo button till they get close to the basket, let go of the turbo button, tap the shoot button once and then hold the shoot and boost buttons simultaneously to execute a hop step dunk.
- Contact Dunks Using the Right Stick
Contact dunks are all the rage among the NBA2K community these days, so we thought we’d include them in our guide as well. These dunks can only be executed using the right stick.
The best thing about them is that if you time them perfectly then they cannot be stopped even if you have a defender right in your face.
They’re pretty easy to activate as well as players just have to drive to the hoop while holding the boost button, flick the right stick up momentarily and then hold it downwards for the meter to appear.
Now, to execute a perfect one, you have to wait until the meter reaches the green bar at the top and then release the right stick immediately.
Your dunk stats also help you out immensely when it comes to the timing as better dunk stats ensure a larger green bar, increasing your chances of getting a perfect one off.
That pretty much covers all the controls you need to learn and all the different types of dunks you can perform with a player in NBA2K23.
There are a few more advanced dunks that players can try including alley OOP dunks assisted by another player or off the backboard. But for a beginner who wants to learn the basics as well as some of the flashier dunks in the game, we reckon this should be enough.
If you are still looking to add a bit more style to every one of your dunks, you can visit the dunk animation store in the game and purchase your favorite player’s dunk animation.
Alternatively, you can also create your own personalized dunk animation by heading into the dunk style creator menu in MyCareer.